Update: Here is a link to the final report.
Tomorrow at 11:00AM, The Task Force for the Future of American Innovation, of which ACM is a member, will be releasing a report outlining many different measures of U.S. competitiveness and making the case for increased investment in basic research in the physical sciences. USACM has endorsed the report. Below are the details of the press conference:
- Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House,
- David Abshire, President, Center for the Study of the Presidency, former Special Counsel to President Reagan and former Ambassador to NATO
- Larry Wortzel, Chairman, U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission and Vice President for Foreign Policy, Heritage Foundation
- Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN), House Armed Services Committee
- Participants will challenge the Administration and Congress to provide greater Defense Department funding of basic research.
- Participants will support full funding of President Bush’s American Competitiveness Initiative.
- Release of the 2006 Benchmarks Report of the Task Force on the Future of American Innovation. To read 2005 report, go to http://futureofinnovation.org/PDF/Benchmarks.pdf.
Reserve Officers Association
One Constitution Avenue, NE
5th Floor Conference Room
Thursday, November 16, 11:00 AM to Noon
- # # # -
The Task Force on the Future of American Innovation (www.futureofinnovation.org), comprised of organizations from industry and academia, advocates increased federal support for research in the physical sciences and engineering. Formed in 2004, the Task Force urges strong, sustained increases for research budgets at the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy Office of Science, National Institute of Standards and Technology, and Department of Defense. For more information, to RSVP, or if you are press and wish to request an embargoed copy of the report, please contact: