USACM Provides Input On Next Version Of Open Government National Action Plan
By David Bruggeman
September 24, 2013
As part of the Obama Administration’s Open Government Initiative, it released a National Action Plan in September 2011. Based in part on its progress on the first version of the Plan, the government is working on version 2.0, and requested input from the public. USACM submitted comments yesterday.
A summary of our recommendations to the government for the next edition of the plan:
- Design tools and plans for increasing access to information with both businesses and the public in mind
- Evaluate progress on the Action Plans regularly and share that information with users
- Greater public participation strategies that involve computing also need appropriate social structures to succeed in attracting participants outside of developers and technologists
- Encourage feedback and public participation tools that can facilitate multi-directional communication and/or collaboration
- Responding to disasters and similar events would be a good area to encourage activity through prizes and/or competitions
- More datasets should be released through ‘research.data.gov’ that can be used for researchers and the public
There is no set deadline for when National Action Plan version 2.0 will be released.